Thursday, 10 July 2014

White Truffles in Winter

I have freshly arrived from the beautiful and sunny Thessaloniki and a rainy and pretty miserable London welcomed me in a way that nobody wants to be welcomed really. But what can you say? Some things never change, London will always be London. 

I wish my holiday break was a bit longer though..I had such an amazing time. I enjoyed the sun, the food, a few glasses of wine (my intake of resveratrol has always been modest ;-), hanging out, drinking lots of strong coffee (just the way I like it), not wearing a watch and barely checking on the time. It was a holiday with purely relaxation purposes that served them straight up. 

 Knowing me it is unimaginable not to have a book with me simply because reading really relaxes me. I have to admit that I was a fairly slow reader this time (so unusual of me) and I simply put the blame on my very tired mind from all work related issues. 

My book of choice was "White Truffles in Winter" by N.M. Kelby. It was something in the title that intrigued me when I was browsing at the library the afternoon before I flied to Greece and made me pick it. The book imagines the world of the remarkable French chef Auguste Escoffier (1846-1935), who changed the way we eat through his legendary restaurants at the Savoy and the Ritz. A man of contradictions, Escoffier was also torn between two women: the famous, beautiful and reckless actress Sarah Bernhardt and his wife, the independent and sublime poet Delphine Daffis. 


A tale of extraordinary people entangled in a captivating love story that I would strongly recommend reading. 

Have a great day!

Helen xx

2 comments:

  1. I usually have a similar feeling regarding the end of holidays. I always want them to be just a little longer;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great ! X

    www.carlaginola.com

    ReplyDelete

>