Thursday, 22 May 2014

Henri Matisse: The Cut-Outs at Tate Modern

I have only been back to London a couple of days and I already feel exhausted. Truth to be told, I had a lot to catch up at work; hence the exhaustion. I had a lovely evening last night at the theatre (I will soon write a post about the play that I saw) and I cannot wait for my next days off.

I really want to find some time to visit Tate Modern which is currently hosting an exhibition on the giant of modern art that listens to the name of Henri Matisse. The exhibition explores the final chapter in his career in which he began carving into colour and his series of spectacular cut-outs emerged.

Source: tate.org.uk
The Sheaf 1953
The Snail 1953
Blue Nude 1952
The exhibition represents a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see so many of the artist's works in one place and discover Matisse's final artistic triumph. In his sixties, when ill health prevented the artist from painting, he began to cut into painted paper with scissors to make drafts for a number of commissions. In time, Matisse chose cut-outs over painting: he had invented a new medium!

Henri Matisse: The Cut Outs
Tate Modern
17 April - 7 September 2014
Bankside
London
SE1 9TG

Have a nice evening!! 

Helen xx

2 comments:

  1. That blue nude is gorgeous! Seems like a really cool exhibition :)

    Jules x

    ReplyDelete

>