Saturday, 8 February 2014

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I have got a new F. Scott  Fitzgerald novel on my reading radar and this is "Tender is the Night". I love reading with a cup of coffee on the side. It feels like my brain is working better that way :-)


This is the writer's fourth and final completed novel. It was published between January - April, 1934 in four issues and the title is taken from the poem "Ode to Nightingale" by John Keats. 

 This beautiful story is set on the French Riviera in the 1920s and charts the captivating lives of American Dick Diver and his wife Nicole. The pair are the epitome of chic, living a glamorous lifestyle and entertaining friends at their villa. Young film star Rosemary Hoyt arrives in  France and becomes entranced by the couple. It is not long before she is attracted to the enigmatic Dick (I always love a love story!), but he and his wife hold dark secrets and , as their marriage becomes more fractured, Fitzgerald laments the failure of idealism and the carefully constructed trappings of high society in the Roaring Twenties.

What have you been reading lately? As you might have guessed, if you read this blog on a regular basis I am quite THE book worm. I have been reading so much lately, I can't even keep up with myself. Truth be told, this happens to me when I have the urge to block certain things off my mind and reading makes me achieve this. Now, what are these things that have come uninvited on my head is another story and I don't want to bore you with such things!

I hope your weekend rocks!!

Helen xx

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's crazy, it's the book I've just started to read a couple of days ago :) And I like it, I love Fitzgerald's writing (though I don't understand everything because I'm reading it in English and I'm still missing some vocabulary...:P)
    Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete

>